Apr 13, 2012

30 weeks

Daddy and I on our way to church on Easter Sunday in Santo Domingo! (I think I look like a big yellow Easter egg)

Posing with your grandma and the flamingos at the Santo Domingo Zoo

Baby Girl, you are the size of a head of cabbage!
(I guess this is like a bigger American cabbage since you were just a Chinese cabbage a couple weeks ago?  Oh babycenter...)

Hey little bunny,
Happy Easter!  (a little late, it has been another busy week!)  Oh where to begin... you have been all over the island this week!  First, to Santiago to meet your new doctor, Dr. Reyes, then to Cabarete for two nights at the beach, then down to the capital to see your grandma who was visiting from Mexico and to hang out with your Uncle Tim, Auntie Paola, and your cousins Ana Leah and Rachel.  I could tell you so much, but first let me say that OHMYGOSH did you eat good this week (a perk of traveling to the bigger cities)... McDonald's McFlurries, Gordito's Burritos, The Belgian Bakery, Wendy's Frosties, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Pizzarelli... I (usually) don't even eat fast food in the states, but when you're away from it this long, it is a special treat.  In fact, after craving a Wendy's Frosty for like forever and a day, I got to Wendy's and found this...


Apparently Wendy's came out with a bajillion different kinds of frosties while we were gone!  After much contemplation, I opted for a plain chocolate one so I wouldn't take a chance at be disappointed.  Hope you liked it!  Now I'm home again eating normal (healthier) food, but it sure was good while it lasted!  Another thing we did this week...

We got maternity pictures!

Your Auntie Jess took a whole bunch of them while we were at the beach, it was super fun and I feel lucky to be friends with such a talented photographer.  This was extra special for me cause we never had engagement pictures (your dad said it was too cheesy) or real wedding pictures (we hired a con-artist).  Your dad had really bad nipple burn from surfing earlier that day so he was lifting his shirt up the whole time in all the pictures, and being a total goof ball wanting to take pictures while drinking out of coconuts or fanning me with a palm branch.  We even got Santa in a few of them too.  I will make another post with some of these pics soon.  And hopefully print a few to put above your crib.  We won't be able to give you your own nursery yet, but your dad and I have some little projects in the works for the crib area in our room.  Your dad is an awesome painter, and I can't wait to see what he will make for you. 

Your Grandma Mexico (we call her that cause your grandparents are missionaries in Mexico) also brought all kinds of treats for you, me, and your dad... like 10 bags of Japanese cacahuates that I have LOOOOVED ever since I lived in Mexico (I went their to play mom to a bunch of little girls in an orphanage there the year after I graduated college - hopefully the practice pays off!).  Your grandma also brought down hand-knitted hats and booties from your Great Grandma Meintz, lots of clothes from your cousin Zoe and a diaper bag from your Auntie Lisa, lots more toys and clothes from your Great Aunt Diane, and a pink sweater your grandma knitted herself and she got us a baby carrier too.... check out your dad modeling it and getting ready to carry you around in it... we'll probably use it a lot since we don't have a car and you're not big enough yet to ride El Negro (our motorcycle)


So little chica, know that you are beyond blessed to have amazing, loving people on BOTH sides of your family.  So much in fact, your dad has said a million and one times that I married him "for his family" and cause I think it's cool they're all world travelers in the mission field.  Well, that is not true, I married your dad cause he is the ABSOLUTE LOVE OF MY LIFE, but I do have some pretty awesome in-laws, who I have learned just about everything I know about being a missionary from.  Let me tell you a little story about it... :)

Not that long ago, I would never in a million years have wanted to be called a "missionary".  Peace corps volunteer, teaching abroad, humanitarian aide worker... these I'd be okay with, but "missionary"  just kinda conjured up an image in my head of these women in long skirts leaving Bible shaped bruises on people's heads and telling them they'll go to hell if they don't do A, B, and C.  But your daddy's fam is a totally different story. 

The first time I was down in Mexico visiting your Auntie Tracey while she was studying abroad, I got to see your grandparents' work in action.  And... I'll admit now even though I never would to your Auntie Tracey at the time... I was really intimidated by them and really worried about making a good impression.  SO when we went out to the Guadalajara market area for the first time with your grandpa, I was a little nervous about how to act.  I mean here I was staying with these veteran missionaries of like 30 years who know everything there is to know about being a missionary, for my first time in another country, and I was so scared of humiliating myself in front of your grandpa.  And of course as soon as we start to walk down the street, there are sick, poor people begging, reaching open hands toward us.  And in my head I was thinking "Ahh, what do I do?  Do I give them money?  How much money?  I don't even know how much these pesoes are worth.  What if your grandpa thinks I am stupid cause, you know, they'll just buy drugs or something with it?  Can I pretend I don't see them?  Or don't understand?  I don't really speak Spanish well, so maybe that would work.."  All this was running through my head, worried about what was the right way to treat these people and still make a good impression.  So I turned and watched your grandpa, wondering what he would do.  Would he make eye contact?  Would he keep walking and pretend not to see?  Would he hand over all his spare change? 

Well baby girl, that's when your grandpa did something totally unexpected... something I will never ever forget.  As I watched this old crippled woman sitting on the ground reach up toward him, your grandpa squatted and sat down on the dirty ground, put his hand on her shoulder, looked her straight in the eyes, smiled warmly, greeted her BY NAME, and asked her about how a specific member of her family was doing.  Now this was a long time ago, but I've never learned so much from any mission class, cultural training, or anywhere else as I did in that very moment.  What your grandpa did in that moment is everything that it means to be a missionary.  And that's what makes me not embarrassed now, but happy, when people ask me "Usted es una misionera aqui?" to respond with "Si". 

So, does this mean that I pop a squat and start chatting every time I see someone crippled or begging around here on the street?  I wish I could answer yes to that.  But what it does mean is that I've learned that being a missionary doesn't have anything to do with what I have to teach to others or how I can go about changing them, but everything to do with how I can love them and value them and build relationships with them no matter who they are, where they've been, or what they've done, and show them the same love and grace God has shown to me.  That's what I think being a missionary is all about (thanks to your grandpa).  (Oh and just so you know, the other missionaries I've met and become friends with along the way have all been pretty amazing too, not like the ones I described before ;)

So mamacita, I hope you remember that story as you grow older, no matter where you are or what you choose to do with your life, that you will carry that with you and remember to treat others with a Christ-like kinda love (even... or should I say, especially.... to the people who are the hardest to love.... I've found those are the ones who always seem need it the most).  And remember that you are a part of a really incredible family - people I've watched God use to change the world in extraordinary ways. 

And remember that we (of course) all love you VERY VERY much. 

One last thing to leave you with for the week, just cause I saw it on pinterest.com and I loved it.  Maybe your dad can paint a replica to hang above your crib. :)
Pinned Image
Love always,
Your momma
xoxoxo

P.S. I have had major heartburn lately... wonder if that means you'll born with a head full of hair like your momma was?? :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I came across your blog while searching Dominican baby blogs. My husband and I live in Cabrera on the north coast and welcomed our own Dominican baby girl to the world in January. We run a small non-profit school and summer camp program here which we started in 2009 (living here since 2008). Our non-profit website is www.esperanzaproject.ca and my blog is http://www.palmtreemama.blogspot.com/ . Great to find another foreign couple raising their little one here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just looked at your blog - I love it! Also, we've heard of your esperanza project from friends on the north coast, sounds awesome!! Excited to start following your blog, and hope maybe someday we could meet up! :)

    ReplyDelete