Feb 25, 2012

Hey moms....

Okay so I know I said that being in the DR and not being like other expecting moms was okay with me.... and it is... but I have to admit... I am kinda starting to freak out.... just a little bit.  Reading about all the stuff other ladies are doing to get ready for their babies makes me feel so not ready!  I know we are going to learn to live without a lot, but I am wondering if you can share with me, what are things that I really need?  New baby ESSENTIALS?  The things that absolutely got you through your first year with baby?  My mom is coming down to visit in a month, so I want to get my list together of stateside wants and needs before she comes down.

My mother-in-law had 3 of her 4 babies in the mission field in third world countries, bless her soul, so she has been helping to fill me in on what to get from the states... she said nursing shirts, nursing bras, disposable diapers for the first month, then cloth diapers for after that... what else can you add?  Keep in mind we will not have a vehicle or car seat and I'm not planning on doing the Dominican thing riding with our newborn sandwiched between us on the motorcycle, so most of my travel around town will be on foot... what are the best kinds of baby sling things?  What about any kind of baby seat/jumper/bouncer kinda thing that would fit into a suitcase? (forgive me for not knowing the baby lingo)

Help a new momma out por favor!  Can't wait to hear your comments and suggestions!

Love,
Kristin and Baby Girl

P.S. If you are interested in sending something down with my mom, get in touch with her at bkaybradshaw@yahoo.com - thanks!  

3 comments:

  1. You will be supprised at how little you will really need for the baby. Most of the things that people in the states register for and buy they dont use much or not at all. (I know this because I got all that cool stuff and most of it just sat)

    Dont worry about to many newborn clothes she will only wear them for a short time.

    Baby carriers. I had a Moby for the baby stage and had a ERGO for a little older the moby doesnt last very long so you could get away with an ERGO with the newborn insert. I still wear my 30 pounder in my Ergo so they last a long time.

    If you could get a baby bouncer it would be helpful because its easy to move around for when you shower or are cooking.

    I used cloth diapers and really like the pocket style they were just like using a disposable you just have to wash and stuff it. Pre- Folds and covers might be easier depending on your laundry situation.

    Only other thing I can think of is to have on hand a thermometer, infant Tylenol, and gas drops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the advice Lori!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lanolin, diaper cream, a blanket to swaddle (Lisa gave Katharine and I an awesome one this winter), if you are breast feeding - a stash of milk in the freezer, bottle, thermometer, pacifier, car seat, something to mash/puree food with if making your own baby food. This list plus the obvious clothes and diapers is about all we used with Joshua. The only big thing 'luxury' item I would add is a swing, it put Josh to sleep faster than anything else for 6-8 months.

    ReplyDelete