![]() |
| All the kids and volunteers at NPH Orphanage have been praying and praying for you! They can't wait to meet you! |
Dear Kenya Doll,
What a week we've had! I don't know if there's any other baby out there who has had such an eventful and adventurous 3 weeks of life as you have had. It has been the most difficult of both of our lives, but also has been amazing to see such an outpour of love showered on you by so many and to see how God's mighty hand has been so at work through all of this.
The hardest part started in the DR going to hospitals in Santiago and Santo Domingo. I never knew it would be possible to miss someone so incredibly much as I missed you when we had to leave you in the NICU. Those 35 hours were the longest of my life. I spent most of them in prayer with other mommies in the waiting room outside of NICU. There were times I literally dropped to my knees, hugging and holding hands with complete strangers, somehow we helped each other to get through it all. I am still praying for a little baby girl named Dara who was there with dengue fever. Her mom Loida and I prayed for you guys non-stop and her entire church was also praying for you. I also spent lots of time trying to sweet talk the nurses and bringing them candy and treats trying to get past the door to see you. I swear that after all of this, I will never again take for granted the grand privilege I have in being able to see you, hold you, feed you, and just be with you everyday. It is hard to put you down now because I never want to stop holding you or looking at your beautiful little face. Sometimes we just don't know how good we've got it, but now I will never forget how amazingly blessed my life is for having you in it.
Once we knew we had to get you out of the DR and get you to better healthcare, this is when the real blessings begun. I decided to write a blog post reaching out for help to get you out of the DR and to the U.S. for help, and I never imagined in a million years the response that I have gotten. Since I wrote that blog, I have received thousands of hits and literally hundreds of emails and messages from people who want to help you. Dozens of people wrote state reps, congressmen, and others in government to expedite your passport. Doctors wrote letters of medical emergency to get you out. There was even a personal phone call in to vice president Joe Biden on your behalf! Your passport, which should usually take months, was finished and ready in less than 2 hours on a day when the embassy was closed. They all knew us and our story when we got there. AMAZING. And this isn't even the beginning. You have had invitations from across the country to come to the best hospitals. Lots of families across the country have opened up their homes to us. I have received countless emails from other parents of children with seizures who want to share all they can to support and help you. They even started a support group just for us where I can ask questions and learn more about how to help you. People are raising money all across the globe for you to make sure you will be provided for. There are fundraiser parties and events in your honor. And of course, all around the world, there are about a million bajillion prayers being sent up above just for you. The whole thing has been unbelievable and your dad and I are still trying to take it all in. To tell you that you are SO INCREDIBLY LOVED is too much of an understatement. There just aren't really words for it. Just remember baby girl, to never lose your faith in people and never lose your faith in God. Even though things don't always go as we plan, God has a plan in all of it. And, like Margaret Mead has said, never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. (in your case, it's actually quite a big group!)
Since we got to Devos Children's Hospital in Grand Rapids, you have been just as popular. You dad's cousin Daniel works there and had their whole team ready and waiting for us when we got there Friday night. All the staff were gushing and gushing over what a gorgeous baby you are and everyone was so eager to help us. Your dad and I felt a sense of peace being around such kind and wonderful staff there. And the hospital was so beautiful that we kept saying we felt like we were in an all-inclusive resort. The very best part is that your dad and I had a pull-out bed right in the room with you so we could be with you all the time. I was SO relieved that I didn't have to leave you in the NICU again. We were hugely blessed during all of our time there.
Now we are back staying with your Uncle James and Auntie Lisa. We are still waiting on more tests to come back and don't know anything for sure, but the doctors all have high hopes for you. We all do too. I know that God has some huge plans for your life and that He is holding you in the palm of His hand and that I don't have to worry anymore. And there are SOOOOO many people lifting you up every single day in prayer. But I want you to remember that no matter what the outcome of all of this, you are already perfect to us and always will be. And we will love you unconditionally with all of our hearts until the day we die. You are the absolute love of our lives and we will never stop thanking God for bringing you into our lives.
Well little chica, I think that is all for this week. We are all tired and it looks like you want to eat now too. So time to eat and go and get some sweet dreams. Will write again soon. We love you to the moon and back.
xoxoxoxoxooxoxxoxoxo
Love,
Your momma
![]() | |||
| Your first time at the airport and first time flying! And your first time in the USA!! (lots of firsts this week!) |
| The lactation consultant at the hospital taught us how to have skin to skin time - we were loving it! |
Can't wait to get more photos of you as your develop and get more beautiful every day!!


This letter had me in tears. It is so amazing to see the out pour of support and be reminded of just how good people can be. You have an incredibly loved little girl and I am so happy to hear that it is going well back in the US. Continued prayers. What beautiful photos! She is a doll.
ReplyDeleteWe continue to celebrate all that God offers you through the gift of love, support and deep compassion. This is living "the way of Jesus". We continue to hold you allin prayer and in our hearts as you take life one day at a time.
ReplyDelete