Poster for my going away party made by your dad and his art students :) Also, notice the frosting the kids put on my face!
Baby Girl is the size (weight) of a head of cauliflower (2 whole pounds!)
Hey little ladybug,
How are things going in there for you this week? It has been another eventful week, and a sad one, cause it was my last week teaching first grade. I am super blessed that Dominican law says I can take 3 months of maternity leave before or after the birth of the child, cause I am ready for some rest, but it was super sad saying good-bye to my little six-year-olds.
I had them write me these letters last week with their words of advice on how to be a good mom, goodbyes to me, and pictures of what they think I will look like with my new baby. Here's some photos.
Your mom and dad are a prince and princess - it looks like I have a caterpillar and butterfly in my belly, more than a baby.
Looks like I grew taller (or your dad shrunk), we are became royalty too, and I dyed my hair black... not sure what kinds of magic potions are coming off that tree and out of my head as well?
Gotta love your mom's two-tone big hair and our colorful little casita.
Looks like we got some kind of big yellow bus - Dad is driving and I'm holding little you out front... and apparently we're carrying a house along with us?
I love all these ones of you still in my belly.
Looks like I went behind a heart-shaped bush, popped out a baby, and your dad hid behind one next to me to watch and called out "Thank you God" (probably thankful that we didn't have to share a bush) :)
I think I have some kind of unhappy pregnant ghost in this one, standing between your dad and I
Looks like your dad became Dr. DeYoung... hmmm, maybe he had to deliver you?
There's lots more cute ones, but I'll stop there cause our internet is slow. Here's the long list of all the answers they wrote on how to be a good mom:
1. Love the baby
2. Be careful with her
3. Don't leave your baby crying
4. Give her pow pows (aka spankings - only when you really need them ;)
5. Give her kisses and hugs
6. Care for her
7. Play with her all day
8. Go to the park together
9. Buy presents for her
10. Bring her food to school
11. Give her hugs
12. Take her to school
13. Style her hair pretty
14.Eat ice cream together in the park
15. Go on trips together
16. Work hard
17. Feed her salad
18. Sleep good
19. Make good food
20. Love your baby by kissing her and give her hugs
21. Take her to the park
22. Go to the park and eat ice cream
23. Bake cookies with her
24. Give her a lot of hugs
25. Remember that babies need kisses.
26. Teach her to obey
27. Teach her to help others and love others
28. Give her hugs and kisses
29. Bring her food
30. Read lots of books to her
31. Give her kisses
32. Give her lots of good hugs
33. Make her favorite food, like tomato soup
34. Say lots of prayers with her at bedtime.
35. Cook dinner for her, like spaghetti
36. Love her a lot (I already do!)
37. Give her lots of hugs
38. Play with your baby
39. Pray for your baby
40. Cook lots of soup
Pretty good for six year olds right? So lots of hugs and kisses, definitely we will eat ice cream in the park, and I plan on cooking, praying, and playing with you a lot! :) I can't wait for the fun to begin.
They also shared extra notes to me like:
Be a good mother. - Martin
I love you. - Silvette
You are going to be a good mom. - Genesis
You are a good teacher. You love first grade. - Alejandro
I like when you taught us reading groups, centers, and read us stories. - Yudeli
Tuerelinawhanapo - Jhonas (usually I can figure these out, but no idea on this one).
You are like my mom so you will do great. - Rosmairys
I love you and the baby will love you too. - Brianna
I love you because you are a great teacher. - Eddily
I will miss you. - Kiara
There were a lot more that made me feel like a very loved teacher. :)
Some of the parents also sent in letters of mom advice. Here was one of my favorites from Yudeli's mom (forgive the translation errors):
Dear Mrs. DeYoung,
This is my advice on how to be a good mother. Love, love, love your children throughout all things, just as our Lord Jesus Christ has shown love to us through all things. Have patience, tolerance, kindness, and demonstrate affection and love to your child. Remember to keep all people included in your child's life, like all of your special loved ones. To be a mother is a great blessing gifted to us by God, and we can use it to give and teach our children all the good things in life and help them learn how to live life to the fullest. Thank you Mrs. DeYoung for shining all of your affection and teachings, but most importantly your love, onto my daughter this year.
With love, Yudeli's mom
I think these kinds of things are what makes all the pulling-my-hair-out crazy days totally worthwhile. I also had an amazing going away party. Your dad worked with a few of the parents to plan something extra special for me. I owe him BIG (gosh I could say that every single day).
The fruit basket the parents made for my party - so sweet!
This weekend your dad went to the beach to hang out with your Auntie Pam, and wouldn't you know it he got the SAME big handprint tan mark that your mom did, only on his shoulder? Guess you may have some bad tan lines to look forward to and thank your parents for in the future... I will try my best, but I guess we're just both kinda tontos when it comes to putting on sunscreen.
This weekend your dad went to the beach to hang out with your Auntie Pam, and wouldn't you know it he got the SAME big handprint tan mark that your mom did, only on his shoulder? Guess you may have some bad tan lines to look forward to and thank your parents for in the future... I will try my best, but I guess we're just both kinda tontos when it comes to putting on sunscreen.
That's all for this week I think. Today I went out to Palo Blanco on a research trip to help get our church's new feeding center ready (you are going everywhere girl, I don't know if anyone ever traveled around a country this much at your age), and tomorrow your Grandma Bonnie and her cousin Julie come into town. I think that brings us to like 20 visitors this month, talk about March Madness huh? Then your Grandma Mexico comes next! Everybody just loves you - but I think your daddy and I do the most! 85 more days til I get to meet you!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoo (in following the advice of my 1st graders :)
Love,
Your momma


Kristin,
ReplyDeleteYour post and blog just brought sweet tears to my eyes! I love how you are writing your little ladybug!
What sweet things your little Firsties shared.
I am your newest follower and a 1st grade teacher too! I know God put me in the classroom to touch the hearts of my kiddos and I am blessed by that daily.
I would love for you to come visit me if you get the chance. I have lots of *freebies* and share encouraging poems too!
Blessings to you sweet Kristin!
Heather
Heather's Heart