Jan 27, 2012

Help Our Kids Go to WyldLife Camp!!!!

Okay so I usually leave the blogging to my wife who is typically a way better writer than I am and who you would rather read if you had the option to choose. However I figured I should at least try to write a couple here and there myself. I don't mean to cut hers short since she just posted her new blog the other night, but WyldLife camp is coming up on us super fast.

What is WyldLife? WyldLife is a ministry that I have been a part of for the past couple years now. It is a middle school age ministry, sort of like what you would call a youth group in the states. It is a time for kids to get together once a week for what we call Club, where we play games, act out skits, listen to music, have outings and activities, and most importantly learn more about who Jesus is and why he is so cool.  Here's some photos of me having a good time with the kids at Club...

At camp last year pillow jousting, I was the horse

Christmas party club, with ghetto Santa, Santa's replacement

beach club, pullin out all the moves

What is Wyldlife Camp? Camp is a huge part of Wyldlife. It is the opportunity for kids to get out of their comfort zones, away from home, TV, computers, video games, parents, and the everyday struggles their lives bring them. Camp is a time to interact with other kids their age from surrounding schools, it is a time to get closer to God. 

Where is Camp? Wyldlife camp is up in the mountains here in Jarabacoa at a Younglife/Wyldlife facility.

Where do I come in? Okay well camp costs about 90$ US per person to send the kids to for the weekend. It's not cheap, I know.... We are still in the hole from last years camp which is good and bad. It was great that we had so many kids willing to go, and we were able to give them the opportunity to do so and had such an awesome turn out, we basically sent all the kids from 6th-8th grade last year, but like I said we are still in the hole. I don't think that many people will be able to go this year for the reason that we are unable to give out so many scholarships. I would please ask you to consider sending one of the students to camp and giving a scholarship to do so. If you can't afford to pay the entire scholarship, then maybe a part of a scholarship. Camp also costs the leaders $90 which is a little over 1/4 of our monthly salary here, so if you would like send a donation to help a leader like myself to go to camp to minister to these children that would be awesome as well.

Where's my money going? Well it will be multiplied at least by 2, your donation will go to serve as a donation to send a child or leader to camp. Your donation will not be just given to a kid to get a free ride to camp, the kids are doing a number of service projects to earn their scholarships for camp. Last week we went out in the community and picked up trash. If you have any idea how much trash is in this country you would know what a humbling experience this was for the kids.  The following week we are going to the old folks home in town to hand out cookies, play games, and be a blessing to the elderly in our community. Kids are also volunteering to minister and lead a club for the shoe shining kids in our community, where they will feed, plan out games and activities, and give a lesson; a huge blessing for the kids, and the leaders who consistently lead this program day in and day out.
Pictures of trash pick-up this past weekend
Enjoying the weather and good company
Two of 6+ bags collected by our group
Josue was sick and feeling lousy, but worked without ceasing  with a smile on his face....most of the time.... I think this was the dirty diaper he was picking up

How can I give? There are two different ways to to give to camp, which by the way is a tax write off. So if you work for a large company who needs to write off a bunch of tax money?

Send in check:
Please make it out to "Young Life" with "Scatterday X3109 DR camp scholarship" in the memo line. 
Check mailed to...
Young Life Service Center
P.O. Box 520
Colorado Springs, CO 80901

 Give Online: 
 https://giving.younglife.org/OnlineGivingChoice.aspx?gd=otg&np=1&GiftType=area&MissionUnitCode=X3109&MissionUnitName=Dominican%20Rep%20ScatterdayPlease make sure and click the "camp sponsorship" button when filling out the donation page.

If you can't give financially, please keep us in your prayers!  Thanks!

Dave

2 comments:

  1. Good morning how are you?

    My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.

    I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately it’s impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.

    For all this I would ask you one small favour:
    Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Dominican Republic? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Dominican Republic in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and a original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

    Emilio Fernandez Esteban
    Calle Valencia, 39 Bajo C
    28903 Getafe (Madrid)
    Spain

    If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com, where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.

    Finally I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

    Yours Sincerely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written, Dave! I'm sure you made Kristin proud. What a wonderful cause. I'm thrilled for you guys and all you're doing. I hope my donation will help the organization to continue doing awesome things for those who need it most! --Lauren

    ReplyDelete