Jan 23, 2012

19 Weeks

Dressed up for "Sports Day" for OANSA (being a baseball player, Lizbeth insisted I lift my t-shirt for the photo cause she said you couldn't tell I was pregnant if I didn't, which I kinda doubt ;)

Our baby is the size of a large heirloom tomato!
So I've decided starting this week, I'm going to do my blog entries as letters to the baby that he/she can go back and read later... so here's goes my first shot:

Dear Baby,
Today we went on a walk with Santa and played Frisbee with her.  We wanted to get some pictures of Santa with my belly this week.  She has been really curious about you and it seems like you guys already have a connection and are hitting it off.  She is always nuzzling up against my belly and trying to sniff you - we always wonder what she hears and senses from you.  She is a bit of a spaz kinda dog, and drives me a little crazy sometimes (sometimes a lot), but I think you will love her anyways (we do).  Today we waited to take photos of us together until after we played Frisbee, which was a bad idea because she was pretty tired out by the time it was time for our photo shoot and she was not wanting to cooperate...
Trying to get her to pose with my belly

Your dad trying to be a bit more stern with her (it didn't work)

This was the best shot we got. :)  I know you can't see my belly well here but just wait...
 
cause here I am looking like an elephant taking up the whole picture!

Later on our walk we ran into some friends from our old neighborhood, Barrio Cristo Rey - this is Julisa, Luis David, and Davison (who are in my OANSA class at church).  They are all excited to meet you and love you already.  I can't tell you how much people love to touch, rub, kiss, and talk to my belly everywhere I go.  You are going to have lots of people who love you, in lots of countries too!

On our way home we had to stop at the new bakery in the new plaza they put up called "El Dulcetto".  I have been craving sweets, and lately fruity sweets, so we got Chinola (passion fruit) mousse and it was delicious.  We will have to take you there someday.  Last night I was craving pineapple, so your dad made homemade pineapple pizza (from scratch!) and pina coladas (without alcohol of course).  He rocks my world, especially in the kitchen.  You are going to love him.  Hopefully by the time you can read this, I will have learned to cook a few things, but your dad will always be the champion in the kitchen.  I know you will love everything he makes (you can see how fat he has already made me!).  Right now he is downstairs baking cookies as I write this.  I don't know how I ever got so lucky marrying a guy like your dad.

Last week at school, I taught my first graders the story of Noah's Ark and we made arks during centers.  Someday I will tell you the whole story and we can make arks out of paper plates, paint, glitter, and lots of little animals stuck inside like I did with my students - there is so much I can't wait to do together. 

After I took the photo, I realized this project isn't too impressive, and that my first graders need some serious work on their cutting skills - but it will be better next time around when I do it with you! :) (oh and all the other animals are hidden down inside)


On Friday night, I had a teen girls night at our house with the anti-trafficking organization that your dad and I volunteer for, and we read the story of Esther.  I can't wait to tell you that story too - what an amazing lady she was!  She trusted in the Lord and risked her life to save all her people from mass genocide.  All of us decided that night to live our lives to be more like her.  We all shared prayer requests and there are always things the girls share that break my heart.  One of the girls shared about her struggles with self-image and bulimia.  I hope you never forget that God created you to be perfect and beautiful in His eyes and that he doesn't make mistakes.  Don't let the world ever tell you to be someone that you're not.  During our prayer time, Lizbeth prayed for you and at the exact moment that she said "y el bebe de Kristina" you gave me a nice, swift.  It made me smile to know you are listening already - I think you are going to be one smart cookie.  Afterwards, we got pica pollo and tostones (fried chicken and fried plantains) which is considered a DELICACY here in the DR but you must not like them because they have made me nauseous ever since I got pregnant and I haven't really been able to eat them since.

Even though I love having you inside of me, it's not without it's aches and pains (but you are worth every one of them).  A couple weeks ago I pulled something in my back dumping out a bucket of laundry water and have been walking around like an old woman ever since.  By the way, by the time you are old enough to do laundry I'm pretty sure it will be with a much fancier machine than I've seen in my lifetime so far, and you won't be using a bucket for rinsing or anything else.  Sometimes I hate doing it, but I am glad that I am able to see the ways the rest of the world lives and that I can experience it firsthand.  I hope you are able to grab life by the reins and really see it and experience it for all that it's worth too - traveling and leaving your mark on the world.  I know you will. 

Being pregnant here in the DR has many advantages too though.  The people here have some really funny superstitions.  One of them is that if you deny any of your cravings, you will get a birthmark (they really think this is true).  Last week the gym teacher at school saw me looking at his Snickers bar that he got for his birthday and insisted that I take half for you.  I politely declined but he was very persistent, saying that if I didn't eat it, that you would be born with a birthmark.  Then he unzipped his coat and began showing me the five birthmarks he had and told me about the 5 foods that his mother didn't get to eat during her pregnancy.  People here are so funny sometimes.  A couple weeks ago when I ordered mango for my Yogen Fruz (you'll have to try that someday too, it's so good!) and they were out of it, the girl took an extra five minutes to find and cut up mango to put in my frozen yogurt.  I guess the Dominican people really don't want you to have any birthmarks.  But you might have lots of them if you are counting for all the American foods I deny myself everyday just by not being there.  There are so many restaurants I am going to take you to someday and you can try all my favorite dishes - since I think you are wanting them already and can't have them yet until we get stateside together. :)

Okay well that's all for now.  Oh one last thing, this week I get to finally find out if you're a boy or a girl!  So don't go hiding on me like last time or doing any tricks with your thumb.  I think I might have a feeling which you are but we'll have to wait and see.  I can't wait to see you up on that screen again. 

Oh and here's a photo of your dad's students' work from class.  He is an awesome Art teacher and artist.  Someday he can teach you how to draw and paint and all that fun stuff. :)

These are sand art projects he did with the kids - aren't they cool?  Your dad is such a creative guy.


I love you already and can't wait to meet you.

Love,
Your mom (that sounds so weird to write for the first time! :)

To others reading, here are some special items you can please pray for this week:

*Our pastor at church has something called Wagoners Mitosis, which is pretty serious, and has been getting chemotherapy every week.  He has been quite a trooper and is still coming to church and serving whole-heartedly but please pray for him and his health cause it can't be easy.

*Malcos, one of Glenn's foster sons that we have been volunteering with, left home to go back to the streets, which made us so sad.  Please pray for his safety and his future. (see him below with his dog Mistolina that Dave was helping him to train - so cute...)




Here's Pastor Jeff all dressed up for Sports Day at OANSA with his beautiful wife Traci!
*Dave is looking for scholarships to take his youth group kids to camp, this will be another blog post but please let us know if you'd be interested in sponsoring a child to go, and please pray that the kids are able to raise the money they need to go!

*And of course, please continue to pray for our baby too! :) 

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!

    also, what's a large heirloom tomato? (i'm at work right now.. reading your blog. hah!)

    love you girl. you are going to be such a wonderful mom! :) keep the blogs coming! they're so precious, and will be for a lifetime. you should print them out, just in case blogspot gets erased or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that you are blogging more and the letters you are righting for DeYoungito/a! Just want you to know that I nominated your blog for an award :) You can check my blog for details!

    ReplyDelete