Aug 17, 2012
The Kenya Project
Hi again,
As I wrote in my last blog post and shared, at this time we are staying in the states and are not able to continue with our mission work in the DR in the area of human trafficking. Also, being on bedrest, it is difficult for me to get out and get involved in things here like I really want to. I know right now my most important job is just being Kenya's mommy, but this has been heavy on my heart since anti-trafficking work is something I am so passionate about and since human trafficking is SUCH a huge world problem. There are more than 27 million people today in slavery - 27 million! Did you know that's more slaves than ever before in history? And 13 million of them are children.
So I have a proposition. I would like to try to start a project called "The Kenya Project". I want to continue my work in anti-trafficking through each of YOU reading this blog. (don't go away, this will be easy, I promise - most of it can be done without even leaving your bed :) Since so many people know about the miracle of Kenya and her story, I want to ask everyone who loves Kenya and has followed her story, if you would be a part of this and it can be one more chapter to her miraculous story that I can tell her one day when she is older. People who have helped Kenya have given me SO MUCH HOPE and have restored my faith in humanity. I believe in each of you and know you can, and have, changed the world. This is how Kenya and I want to pay it forward for all the blessings that have bestowed upon us. But we need your help to do it. So here's the idea...
I would like to ask if everyone who reads this blog post would do one thing to help in the fight against human trafficking and do this in Kenya's honor, to help other beautiful little girls around the world who are in need of your help. It could be big or small, and it doesn't have to require going overseas or taking out your wallet. (though either of those are okay too). Here are some ideas that I have so far (just peruse on through and pick one):
Like our Alianza facebook page (Alliance against the Sex Trade in the DR)
Check out the Alianza blog and share on your facebook page
Share about "The Kenya Project" on your blog or facebook page
Watch this youtube video I made about sex trafficking in the DR and Haiti and share it with others on your blog or facebook page
Raise awareness by just sharing with a friend, church group, school group, sports team, etc. about trafficking (read some facts about trafficking here - they will shock you and break your heart)
Host an event with a group of friends or church group where you can learn more about trafficking together and discuss how you can raise awareness in your community
Volunteer in your community (there are lots of child victims of trafficking and refugees right here in Michigan, Michigan ranked 13 out of 50 states for human trafficking) You can find out more on how to help through mentoring, tutoring, or foster care by going to Lutheran Social Services of Michigan. (I did this for 2 years when I lived in Lansing and can promise these kids will change your life)
There are also the following Michigan anti-trafficking organizations to get involved with: Hope Project (which has a safe house right here in Michigan) and The Manasseh Project (also fighting human trafficking here in Michigan) and Women at Risk International. Check them out!
Watch a movie with friends/family about trafficking (such as Taken) and discuss. You can also find more films about human trafficking here.
Read a book about trafficking and sharing it's message with others (such as Half the Sky which I am reading right now and is amazing) or read it with your book club. To see a list with more books about human trafficking, click here.
Sign a petition online to help fight trafficking such as this one.
Go to an event in your community, such as the movie Nefarious, which will be at Celebration Cinema North in Grand Rapids on September 6th at 7:00. Check for events in your area!
Have your church or Bible study or other group pray for people in trafficking.
Other international organizations to check out -Demi and Ashton Foundation, Breaking Chains, Priceless International, and Stop the Traffik.
Anything else you can think of would be awesome - the sky is the limit!
I know time can be an issue, so if all you have time for is a short 10 second prayer asking God to help those in sex trafficking around the world, do pray just that and then let me know - every prayer counts!
If you need more ideas, just let me know, I have lots of them. If everyone just does one thing, I can't imagine the impact that we could make together.
Now here's the important part. Please follow up by letting me know what you and your friends/family did and I can keep a log of this and blog about it. To let me know about your contribution, please leave me a comment on the blog, send me a facebook message or email me at kristin.deyoung@gmail.com.
Also, if you are interested in making a big move overseas and feel like you could be called to the DR, we do have a good foundation laid down for starting a safehouse if you feel like you could be the person to help with this project.
Since I wrote my post the other day, I've already had people sign the petition, liked the Alianza facebook page, and share the blog. I'm really excited about this already. Your participation in this project would mean the world to me. Even if it save the life of just one person who has been through human trafficking, it will all be SO worth it. Can't wait to hear from you!
Love you all,
Kristin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment