Aug 12, 2012

DeYoung Family Update

Hi all,

Sorry it has been a while again!!  Thank you to everyone who continues to pray for our family and write with so many words of encouragement.  I seriously cannot believe how many people have reached out to us over these past two months since Kenya has been born.  As I (very slowly) get through each of my thank you's to send out, I just am touched over and over again at how so many people in so many places have blessed in so many ways.  We are one lucky little family.

I know a lot of people have been praying for the items I asked for prayer for in my last post.  So I'll start with some good news... the flu symptoms that I thought were something nasty called C Diff (or another awful parasite that I brought back from the DR or something), that had me sicker than I have been in years, are long gone! (I think thank you to my mother-in-law taking care of me and giving tons of probiotics!)  WOO HOO!  That means I can eat food again... I don't have to take the awful Flagyl medication (I took it a few years ago for a bout of intestinal worms and it is the WORST)... and I can keep on breast feeding Kenya with no problems!  So thanks for all of your prayers!

As for my recovery process, it is still coming along slowly but surely.  Slow progress as in, instead being allowed 20 minutes a day on my feet, now I get 30-60 minutes a day.  So it's poco a poco...  But from talking to doctors here, and just reading medical info., and reviewing what all happened in the DR, I realize more and more everyday how lucky Kenya and I are just to be alive after everything that happened down there.  I have a beautiful healthy baby girl and we are surrounded by so many people who love us and are taking good care of us.  We are so so lucky for that and I just have to continue to keep that in mind.  Someone said recently that my birth complications were the worst she had ever heard of.  And I had totally agreed.  And then I heard about a woman named Katy Hayes.  I know I've been kinda under a rock for the past 3 years, so maybe everyone else already knows this story, but I just have to share it anyways because it is just so amazing.

Katy gave birth to a beautiful baby girl this past February and then developed a rare strain of flesh eating bacteria called Strep A.  Her husband had to decide for her whether to let her die or take the 5% chance of letting her survive by having a surgery which would amputate both of her arms, both of her legs, and remove all of her sepsis organs (uterus, ovaries and bowels).  He decided to take his chances and she survived.  And if you read her story, I think you would be in tears and inspired beyond words like I was.  That's why I just had to share.  Here is a photo of her with her sweet baby girl below.  I was so in awe of her radiant joy and beauty shared between her and her daughter in this photo, that at first I didn't even notice that all of her limbs were missing.


Here's my favorite part of the story.  Katy said that if she could have one wish, it would be to hold her baby girl in her arms. (running for the kleenex yet?)  So Katy's family is raising money so that she might be the first recipient of arm transplants.  Not prosthetic arms, but actual human arms transplanted.  I heard this story because there was a fundraiser for her in Birmingham, Michigan and my dad shared it with me one day when I seemed down about my current situation.  So when I feel discouraged now, I try to remember Katy Hayes and her strength and courage.  I am so inspired by her.  I think if Katy can be strong and let her smile shine through this kind of trial, I definitely can too.  If you are interested, you can follow her blog "Katy is Strong" that her husband writes for her, or donate money to help pay for her arm transplant.

Last item that was on my prayer list... my wedding ring.  Well sorry to say that rock is nowhere to be found.  But what I do have instead is so much better.  I have a rock of a husband who has been there for me through the good and bad, especially these past few months, and is my best friend and soulmate and an absolutely brilliant daddy to Kenya.  So well I don't have my ring, I do have a rare gem in this world filled with infidelity, divorce, and dysfunction.  And while this rock isn't wrapped around my finger (or maybe he is? ;) I am proud to have him wrapped arm in arm by my side.  Yesterday we celebrated 5 years of marriage, and I couldn't imagine anyone else in the whole world I would rather spend 5 years of marriage with.

In other news, Kenya continues to do fantastic.  She is growing so much everyday and it is unbelievable how she is developing.  She smiles all the time, makes lots of cooing sounds, and is always holding her head up looking around at everyone.  I can't believe how the time is flying! 

And, to answer what many of you have asked, what are we up to now and what are our plans?

We are still living at Dave's brother's house in Grand Rapids.  We don't know anything for sure for the future, but as of right now we are not planning to go back to the Dominican Republic.  This was a sad decision to make as there are so many people there we will miss and we have started a life there, and we were so excited about the idea of opening a safe house for victims of human trafficking, and possibly a restaurant too, but we know that for the time being, this is exactly where we need to be.  I need to get healthy again, go to physical therapy, and let my body heal, get back on our feet again, and most importantly, we need to have Kenya in a safe place where she has access to good healthcare. 

Right now Dave is looking for work and applying for jobs.  He has a couple of leads, but is open to any ideas that anyone has to share with us.  We are open to moving out of the Grand Rapids area as necessary too.  Dave is very talented in a variety of areas, from teaching and youth work to art and design to a million other things so just let us know if you know of anything available.  We would be very appreciative.

And what are Kenya and I up to?  I think one of the perks of being on bedrest is that I have an excuse to have as much cuddle and snuggle time as I want.  Dave is always saying "Still nursing?  It's been over an hour Kristin.. " :)  I just never want to let her go.  Can you blame me?  Also rediscovering Pandora radio and singing along with Kenya (loving me some country music after 3 years without it in the DR), reading her stories, being the lucky recipient of her constant smiles and giggles, and also getting lots of visits from family and friends who are eager to meet her and just spoil us rotten.  Also spending lots of time in the blog world, especially baby blog world and praying for other people's babies, as so many people have prayed for my little baby girl!  Here is one baby story I have been following and praying for baby Mason if you would be willing to commit to praying for him too - The Matthews Monologues.  I have lots of others, but will save those for another day.  :)

And I know I just said one last thing, and this is already really long, but there's something else I just thought of while on that subject.  Since we're not able to be in the DR to start the safehouse and continue our mission work in human trafficking, I would like to ask if everyone who reads this blog post would do one thing to help in the fight against human trafficking and do this in Kenya's honor, to help other beautiful little girls around the world who are in need of your help.  It could be big or small, and it doesn't have to require going overseas or taking out your wallet. (though either of those are okay too)  It could be raising awareness by just sharing with a friend, hosting an event, liking our Alianza facebook page (Alliance against the Sex Trade in the DR), or sharing the Alianza blog or video, volunteering in your community (there are lots of child victims of trafficking and refugees right here in Michigan, you can find out more on how to help through mentoring, tutoring, or foster care by clicking here), watching a movie with friends about trafficking (such as Taken) and discussing, reading a book about trafficking and sharing it's message with others (such as Half the Sky), signing a petition online such as this one, saying a prayer, or whatever else to just help raise awareness about this issue.  If you need ideas, just let me know, I have lots of them.  If everyone just does one small thing, I can't imagine the impact that we could make and it would be a great addition to Kenya's story when I share all of this with her someday.  Please follow up by letting me know what you and your friends/family did and I can keep a log of this (If you are interested in making a big move though overseas and feel like you could be called to the DR, we do have a good foundation laid down for starting a safehouse if you feel like you could be the person to help with this project).  I may make a separate blog post just about this (another fun bedrest project! :)

Okay I'm done for real now!  This is what happens when I wait a while to post! :)  Thank you again to everyone for all of your love, prayers, and support.  I feel so encouraged and inspired by all of you!!  Love you all!!

And just have to share a photo of Kenya to finish, from the amazing Lauren Ward! :)

Thank you to all of you for helping me!!

With Love,
Kristin, Dave, and Baby Kenya





4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you are slowly getting better and better. It really scares me what you went through here and I don't even know the details but after having Alidia here in the DR myself with plans to do the same again in a couple of years, I would like to hear more of your story (maybe you could email me?). Luckily, we had a great experience so it definitely varies on hospitals/doctors, I am sure, but I know we were very lucky anyway because Alidia pretty much did all the work and came so quickly! :) Sad to hear you aren't planning to return but understand that you are doing what is best for your family. Kenya is getting cuter with every photo (and looking so much like her Daddy.. at least in this photo). I am glad you shared the story of Katy... wow, just wow... teary eyed indeed. And also glad you shared the Matthew's blog in asking for prayers for sweet little Mason, especially with his surgery tomorrow. Hope you continue to heal, feel better and enjoy every minute with your beautiful little girl!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Fiona!! Thanks for always following and for all of your constant encouragement!! I would love to share all of my experience and advice with you - let me know your email and I will send it to you. There are a couple key things I know they did wrong that I think can be typical in developing countries that I just had no idea and so I definitely want to fill you in so you can be aware and also share with others. Thanks again - besos and abrazos to you and Alidia!!

      Delete
  2. I pray everyday for Kenya and your beautiful little family to find strength and the courage to keep on fighting!! You will get through this and I would love to help anyway I can!! Much love to you and the family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kristin,
    we will be in Michigan the 27 thru Aug 3rd, we'd love to have your family over for an afternoon. We'll be in Montgue Michigan, staying at a rental.
    Please email me to reach me. try pgautraud@gmail.com if you can't find the other.
    peg

    ReplyDelete