Jun 9, 2010

Lots of pretty places to hike in Las Galeras
Playa Rincon
Playa rincon
romantic beach day at Playa Rincon

water here was sooo pretty
 Hi all,

So I know I'm getting terrible about Monday emails, but this will be one of my last ones - I can't believe it.  As excited I am to come home and see you all, I have to say I'm getting so so so sad about leaving here and leaving these kids and friends I have come to love SO much... especially the kids, I don't know how I will do it.  As things are never as planned in the DR, the Kindergarten and Pre-school teacher announced this morning in formation that today is the last day of school instead of next Friday.  I about had a panic attack until they said we're just making the last day of school today for us, you can still keep teaching til next week if you want to.  I was able to breathe again after that, but still can't believe it is SO close!  Life has been crazy here with IEP's - teaching all morning then IEP's all afternoon everyday.  They don't go exactly as planned, but they are going.... and probably are the first IEP's in this country so maybe making history here?  Hope it's not illegal... :)  Sometimes the tias and teachers want to talk about anything and everything but the kids, getting so heated it barely resembles Spanish anymore, but for the most part they're going pretty good.  Can't say how many times I wanted to throw in the towel though trying to write 25 IEP's in Spanish, not a simple task, but am happy to say they're all done.  Also planning a big end of the year bash, presentation, and photo show for next week so staying extra SUPER busy.  It looks like internet is going in and out so will have to make this quick...

This past weekend Dave and I used my generous birthday money gifts (thanks mom, dad, mark and lauren) to travel up to Sabana de la Mar and into Samana peninsula, we have been wanting to travel there all year and it was an incredible and adventurous weekend to say the least.  We took the guagua up to Sabana de la Mar the first night on the outskirts of the Los Haitses national park.  Stayed on a ranch in the middle of nowhere with tons of animals - mostly dogs, horses, and LOTS of goats who would run, play, and fight all day and night.  We found this hotel on the side of the mountain that was the most unique building I've ever seen, made of shell pieces molten together to create a three story building, with walls of bamboos and palm leave roofs, with a river flowing through emptying into 10 waterfalls pouring down all around into natural swimming pools.  We couldn't afford to stay there but bought $3 day passes and spent all day Thursday swimming around in the waterfalls and climbing the mountain to look down on the national park.

Friday morning we took an hour and a half ferry ride across the bay to Samana peninsula.  The ferry was actually a small closed in boat that was overcrowded like all public transport here (in case you were picturing the Macinac Island ferry).  We were packed in like sardines and as the boat slowly rocked back and forth, I knew it wouldn't be long before the puke started... first on my left just missing my foot by inches, then a little boy on my right out the window.  Then across from me, a little boy sitting on top of the luggage started to gag, but in order to save the luggage, his mom quickly covered her hands over his hands over his mouth and tears streamed down his face as he forced himself to choke it back down.  For the next hour, the puke pools slid back and forth, and kids trodded through them getting it all over everything, occasionally stepping on my feet.  Sound like the Macinac ferry? (we decided on taking the bus around the other side of the peninsula to go home)

We arrived in Samana, got breakfast of fried plantains and beans and rice, and hopped the first guagua we could out to Las Galeras - known to have the best beaches on the island.  We were cruising through the mountains looking down over the water when we came across the "huelga" (strike).  I remembered this word quickly.... first time I learned the word "huelga" was with Andi from my tutoring group when I lived in Mexico in 2005 practicing for a school play, where he screamed Huelga over and over and started pretend fires.  Second time was summer 07 living in Los Alcarrizos when they turned off our electricity and water for 3 days, all local businesses closed, and they burned tires in the streets - we "braved" it to take an expensive taxi (no one wanted to drive) to get my wedding veil 2 weeks before my wedding only to find my sister-in-law's mom didn't actually have it - funny story... but anyways back to last weekend, I know the word huelga well enough to know it wouldn't be anything like we do in the states marching around with posters.  Guess this community had lost electricity and water for quite a while, and drunk angry Dominicans with t-shirt covered faces ran around with machetes cutting down palms all over the road so we couldn't cross and throwing beer bottles and "Mazaltof cocktails" as Dave called them, basically like these bottles that exploded when they threw them.  What's worse is we had a little girl in the guagua with an open head injury, the back of her head covered in guaze and medical tape and was going in and out of consciousness.  After waiting for a while, the cops showed up and after hearing a round of gunshots the crowds ran every which way and they started cleaning out the roads (we were plenty far away so nobody freak out cause it wasn't dangerous I promise).  After the delay, we were able to get through after that and get the girl home safely.    

We arrived at our "Hacienda" where we ended up randomly sharing a house with the "Peace Corps family" - mom and dad met in the Peace Corps in Ecuador in the 80's, their 24 year old daughter is in the Peace Corps here, and 21 year old son getting ready to go into the Peace Corps.  I could go on and on about all of the fun with them, but mainly they took us on a boat out to Playa Rincon... since my favorite places in the world, though I have many, are probably the bright green mountains and the white sand beaches with aquamarine waters, and since this was where the mountains met the beach in huge gorgeous capes it was more breathtaking than anywhere I've ever been.  Even the dad in our boat who was native from Hawaii said it was like nothing he'd ever seen.  We spent the day there snorkeling, strolling, and enjoying the views (Dave said he didn't even want to let me read so I wouldn't miss a second of it).  The rest of the weekend was spent hiking (lots of hiking) up mountains, and to deserted beaches surrounded by mountain bluffs, cooking and hanging out in our hacienda, and eating amaaazing food cooked by Ronald, our dazed and confused dreadheaded Belgian host. 

Well, like I said, I wanted to keep it short, but never do, and there are million more daily details I could include, but will leave it at that.  As of today they found a volunteer from the states to take over my room for the summer program but the long-term girl planning to come backed out.  There is a part of me that is so devastated to leave my program that I've poured so much into - pleeease let me know if you know anyone who would be willing to come work with my beautiful and precious kids - I promise it will make for an unforgettable year.

 See you all in 16 days....

Love, peace, and prayers,
Kristin :) 

May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you....May you be content knowing you are a child of God.... Let this presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment