Well, since it's only been a few days since I wrote last, and since I have been told my last one was waaay too long, I'll try to keep this one short. Promise. :)
Friday night, the leadership group put on a "Latin Leader" show - like a Latin American Idol and volunteer roommates played the 3 judges. Lots of dances, lip syncing, very funny skits, Micheal Jackson (of course!), and my Santa Ana girls put on a "modeling show" with our dance idol Luis Manual dancing as Daddy Yankee in the middle and they won first place - they were stoked. It was a great time, and always nice to see the kids' talents in the spotlight and that they are able to shine and feel good about themselves despite their pasts or the trouble they may be causing elsewhere. :)
Saturday we were up at 4a.m. before the sun loading onto the bus with the teenagers to go to 27 Charcos. We had no idea what we were in for, but it was loads of fun. The now tourist spot was a Peace Corps project by JFK's nephew in 2004 but consists of 27 waterfalls that you can climb and slide back down. I can't imagine doing this before the guides, helmets, lifejackets, and ropes because usually the guide was just pulling me up the waterfall swinging me by one arm while the water plunged against me. The best part was riding back over all the waterfalls on the way back, fast slides down before long drops into icy cool crystal clear water (think Lake Superior - the kids' teeth were chattering like crazy). It was a blast. There was lots of hiking through jungle and crossing rivers, lots of waterfights and sloshing around in our tennis shoes (none of us had Aqua Socks like the tourists). Afterwards there was a great buffet and barbecue, it was not technically an "all you can eat" but they decided to let our kids go back "if they wanted". You can imagine how they were regretting that after the 3rd or 4th plate - after eating the same thing every day for 5 or 6 years, you can be sure our kids don't skimp when it comes to a buffet of all different kinds of delicious foods (and we didn't either). Finally they just started clearing the whole barbecue and taking the food away. The ride there and back was through the mountains and jungle, which you already know are lush, green, beautiful and I love them. :)
Sunday was just another day in the school with lots of lesson planning and paperwork - and I'm 36 pages into my special education guide. Has all my lessons so far from the year in it (that's a lot!) and lots of other strategies and tips. Planning to send to all the homes in 9 other countries. Let me know if you want a copy and I'd be happy to share. :) Also, desperately recruiting for someone to take over my special ed. program here - know anyone?? At this point, we are not planning to stay another year at the orphanage but the thought of leaving my program with no one to keep it going is killing me and I just can't be at peace with leaving, not knowing who will take it over. Let me know if you know anyone who might be interested. I can promise it will be a challenge, but will also be the experience of a lifetime.
Okay, well that's it for today. Oh and I'm attaching photos, or will try again, but for now it looks like they are successfully uploading to facebook. The one of my nails are done by my new Haitian girlfriend, French teacher Cristel. We have become close in the past couple weeks, and in return for helping her in Haiti, she gave me a free manicure and made my nails "hot", as she describes them, with lots of flourescent nail art. You can only imagine how much cooler I've become in Santa Ana in the past week with my pre-teen girls. Cristel also gave me a pair of booty shorts as a gift that only cover about half of my booty. Not sure where I'll ever wear those, but I told her I'm sure Dave will like them. :) I don't think anyone else will ever see me in them, ever.
Okay, have a great week and enjoy springtime in Michigan. Can't wait to see you all again soon!!!
Love, peace, and prayers
Kristin
May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you....May you be content knowing you are a child of God.... Let this presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment