Apr 5, 2010

So I know what you're thinking... yeah right I'm not capable of writing a short email, but I think I really will.  I just wrote on Thursday (sorry for the baby joke to everyone who really fell for it) and there's just not too much to write, and I still have many copies to make and shopping to do.  We came back Thursday for all the "holiday festivities", only to find that it was very quiet, "tranquilo", and pretty serious.  Friday morning, the kids did these plays where they marched around the grounds and the older kids acted out the resurrection.  But then the kids really all thought that Jesus really actually died that day, they were confused, so they thought they really had to mourn until Sunday (the orphanage called a day of silence... with 200 troubled kids between 1 and 18, yeah right!) so this translated to "quiet" days of watching 14 hours of TV straight.  Blah.  But we did make these cute foam crosses and decorated them and watched the Jesus movie in the park Friday night (they lost the Passion of the Christ we were supposed to watch, then accidentally put in a movie about David with graphic scenes of him and Bathsheba, there were lots of ooohs and ahhhs)  Sooo then Saturday we dyed eggs, and Sunday we had an orphanage wide Easter egg hunt and 5 eggs had numbers on them and the kids got clues and the ones who found them got an entire 2 liter of coca cola (which each drank themselves entirely without sharing, in all of about 10 minutes).  I imagine they didn't get much sleep last night, and their tias probably didn't either.  They also rode the big yellow bus into town for a 5 hour (no joke) Easter service.  They had to leave at 6am so I missed out because I didn't even know about it (communication is not a strong point here).  So yeah, that's it.  Oh and I spent hours and hours plugged away in my classroom creating a program guide for the special needs kids to use here in the future and also to share with NPH homes in other countries I hope (28 pages so far and counting).  And translated IEP forms to try to start that whole process (so far everyone just laughs at me when I try to explain this idea but hopefully I can somehow make it work - maybe I'll bake like I used to in the states :).  Okay, so that's it, was it short this time?  Oh and one last thing, it was really great to go back today.  I was bracing myself after they were stuck in the houses so long, but they were really great, I got a week's worth of hugs and kisses, and the kids didn't even want to leave my classroom (and they were much more well behaved than the past week in their houses so coming back to teach was actually like a breath of fresh air).  And my mother-in-law Sandy brought these cute pen-pal letters from her first grade class in Mexico, complete with stickers, photos, candy, etc. so that was a fun way to welcome them back.  But yeah, that's it for this week.  Hope all was well for Easter and Spring break back home.  And safe travels to all those traveling and still enjoying their spring breaks (I have to admit I am a bit jealous...)  Please write and fill me in on all the details.  Thanks again for all your continous support and prayers.  And please continue to pray for Yudelkis and her heart condition too. :)
Love, peace, and prayers,
Kristin      

No comments:

Post a Comment