Hi,
So it actually is, for the first time, really really cold here. Actually today the sun did peak out so it was perfect sweater and jeans weather, but last week and especially through the weekend, it has been cold! Seems like a nice change other than we did not come prepared for cold, so instead we layer and layer anything, leggings, jeans, tshirts, sweaters.. and have been wearing the same thing a lot. Saturday we took a cold, really rainy moto ride, the rain felt like needles and by the time I got off I actually could barely move my fingers, I was so cold. I know I am not getting any sympathy here from anyone in Michigan but the weather really has been so bizarre. This past week has been kinda like the weather, kinda blah. Not to complain, but this really might actually be a short email because there's just not too much to share. New week, but kinda same ol same ol... finished up the dino unit, more roommates left to go home to Germany, new dentist roommate arrived from Switzerland to stay 2 months. Lots more visitors en route to Haiti, mostly Italians again. 41 more Canadians here for 2 weeks, all doctors and nurses this time, they are bussing in hundreds or maybe thousands, of kids from all the bateys around San Pedro. The clinic has been crazy but it's really pretty amazing how many kids are getting treated and taken care of from so many different places. Spent the weekend hanging out in the batey, exploring San Pedro on the moto, eating pizza, hiding under a blanket from the rain and cold, working in the school, hanging with the kids, tia teacher conferences, etc. Last night we figured out how to set up our living room as a movie theatre using some donated equipment from the Canadians... usually used for Friday night movies for the kids projected on a white sheet on the basketball court.... and we watched The Blind Side... first movie I have seen in forever but really really good. Okay, I think this is all I have for the week, sorry so boring, but it's been kinda that kind of week, not really boring, but kinda dreary and still full of many challenges... sometimes living in this humanitarian hotel/grown up college dorm with 16 roommates, among 200 troubled kids and working with people with different backgrounds and beliefs can be a bit difficult. Child of the week for prayer... Wilkin. He tried biting me today several times and tried to stab me in the face with a pencil, after trying to hump my thigh during math center. Ah maybe this is too much info., but for anyone who knows me well, knows these can be normal occurences in the world of special ed... especially in an orphanage in a third world country I guess. :) Still love each of the kids to pieces, but ah sometimes it gets crazy. Below, I am attaching a few pics from this week from our end of the week dino unit celebration. I made green "swamp juice" and found "Dino cookies" at the store - how lucky is that? Also, our dino lace up animals and a few other projects on the class bulletin board. Okay well lots of love and peace and prayers sent your way from the DR...
Love always,
Kristin
So it actually is, for the first time, really really cold here. Actually today the sun did peak out so it was perfect sweater and jeans weather, but last week and especially through the weekend, it has been cold! Seems like a nice change other than we did not come prepared for cold, so instead we layer and layer anything, leggings, jeans, tshirts, sweaters.. and have been wearing the same thing a lot. Saturday we took a cold, really rainy moto ride, the rain felt like needles and by the time I got off I actually could barely move my fingers, I was so cold. I know I am not getting any sympathy here from anyone in Michigan but the weather really has been so bizarre. This past week has been kinda like the weather, kinda blah. Not to complain, but this really might actually be a short email because there's just not too much to share. New week, but kinda same ol same ol... finished up the dino unit, more roommates left to go home to Germany, new dentist roommate arrived from Switzerland to stay 2 months. Lots more visitors en route to Haiti, mostly Italians again. 41 more Canadians here for 2 weeks, all doctors and nurses this time, they are bussing in hundreds or maybe thousands, of kids from all the bateys around San Pedro. The clinic has been crazy but it's really pretty amazing how many kids are getting treated and taken care of from so many different places. Spent the weekend hanging out in the batey, exploring San Pedro on the moto, eating pizza, hiding under a blanket from the rain and cold, working in the school, hanging with the kids, tia teacher conferences, etc. Last night we figured out how to set up our living room as a movie theatre using some donated equipment from the Canadians... usually used for Friday night movies for the kids projected on a white sheet on the basketball court.... and we watched The Blind Side... first movie I have seen in forever but really really good. Okay, I think this is all I have for the week, sorry so boring, but it's been kinda that kind of week, not really boring, but kinda dreary and still full of many challenges... sometimes living in this humanitarian hotel/grown up college dorm with 16 roommates, among 200 troubled kids and working with people with different backgrounds and beliefs can be a bit difficult. Child of the week for prayer... Wilkin. He tried biting me today several times and tried to stab me in the face with a pencil, after trying to hump my thigh during math center. Ah maybe this is too much info., but for anyone who knows me well, knows these can be normal occurences in the world of special ed... especially in an orphanage in a third world country I guess. :) Still love each of the kids to pieces, but ah sometimes it gets crazy. Below, I am attaching a few pics from this week from our end of the week dino unit celebration. I made green "swamp juice" and found "Dino cookies" at the store - how lucky is that? Also, our dino lace up animals and a few other projects on the class bulletin board. Okay well lots of love and peace and prayers sent your way from the DR...
Love always,
Kristin
| Portfolios ready to show off at Tia Teacher conferences! |
No comments:
Post a Comment