| Visiting the piggies at the farm! |
| Going to visit the NPH farm! |
Sorry I am now 2 days off on my weekly email, everything is a little off here. As you all know, cats out of the bag, Poor Dave, as nicknamed by my cousin Kim, and the name is becoming more and more fitting, is sick again. He didnt want anyone to know but words out, so thats the reason I didnt write on Monday cause we were at the clinic all day, and then I started to write an email last night but internet was out, so now Im here in town making photo copies for all my Valentines lessons and activities and shopping for our party so thought Id email. Has to be quick cause I have two visitors with me, one disaster relief specialist from Miami and another from Haiti, so Im taking them around to get supplies to take back over, beans, rice, water, meds, etc. Right now theyre at McDonalds so Im writing quick. But for those who dont know, Dave got back from Haiti Saturday and after I badgered him all day Sunday about not helping me face paint for visitors day, I found out he has dengue fever, kidney infection, and pneumonia. Great wife I am, I know... but so besides teaching and trying to tend to him bedside while he demands to be left alone and that hes fine, here is the latest news...
We are moved into our new house and things are going good. It is really nice, and we have our inverter hooked up so we have lights almost always, and are back to having electricity around 10 out of 24 hours a day so that is nice. We also get internet most of the time right on our patio, sometimes even in our bedroom. And though I hate to even share it because I feel so guilty, I have to share, we have a hot water heater! Granted it is small and only works when there is electricity, but I have to admit it is sooo nice. At the same time, I feel terrible because I know I am living better than about 95% of the people, which I hate, but had to share. Another one, not sure anyone would want to hear, but will share anyways... in our kitchen we have had a terrible problem with flies the first couple of weeks... we would have like 100 of them and then kill and kill them and they would all be gone and wed keep all the doors closed and all of sudden there would be 100 more and we couldnt figure out where they were coming from but then found a mound of brown dirt in the pantry where they had been hatching... found out from Daves boss Francisco that one of the guys working on the house a few months ago had to use the bathroom before they had installed one so instead he used our kitchen pantry, and apparently forgot to clean it up later. Never imagined Id be cleaning up 3 month old human feces in the kitchen, especially from an adult, but guess its part of the adventure. The flies have been much better since.
Okay have to hurry now cause visitors are back from McDonalds, so will share the other details...
Tuesday found out Glorimar, one of my favorite favorite favorite girls, I know I shouldnt have favorites but she really is like a little sister to me, was leaving school. I said okay see you at lunch, but then found out she was leaving forever. I burst into tears immediately and all the kids climbed up in the windows to watch the teacher cry. We had a quick makeshift going away party for her with whatever gifts I could find around my classroom and house and baked a chocolate cake, and since the lights were out that night, we passed the flashlight around a circle telling our favorite memories and wishes for Glorimar. Then I went home and cried like a baby. The good thing is that family came forward who can take care of her, an aunt who is a psychologist and makes enough money to take her and her brother Miguel, who also came to my class for help with math, and I met with her aunts boyfriend who seemed like a good enough guy, but it was still so hard to let her go, especially not knowing where or what her new life would be. Just have to pray for her lots and especially that she never changes or lets her heart harden through lifes struggles because so far she has the biggest one I have ever seen in an eleven year old.
Other news, we just finished our farm animal unit, lots of fun there... animal cracker farm math, farm animal read alouds, songs, charades, mini book making, coloring and counting cut and paste pages, sheeps with cotton ball filling and chicks with yellow crepe paper, and a visit to the NPH farm on Friday.... very fun and big thanks to all those who support my class and make learning fun and enjoyable for the kiddos. Now planning lots of Love and Friendship activities, thats what they call Valentines here, Love and Friendship Month, and we are having a big party next Friday. Check facebook for pics, and for farm pics as soon as I can get them up there. Great ones of the kids feeding the chickens and getting pecked too!!
This weekend was another weekend in the compound, I am so ready to get out but everyone is working to make up for all the people who went to Haiti, so its only fair I do my part too. Most of Friday and Saturday was in the office translating and then Sunday was family day so I was one hour church, two hours making kites, one hour with lunch, one hour making bracelets and necklaces, then three hours of face painting. Was so beat by the end of it! All went pretty well for the most part, except the sad faces of the kids who waited and waited for an aunt or cousin or grandparent to show and at five they finally went inside disappointed. Last family day, I spent most of the day with Rodolfo and we pretended to be family, but since I had to work this time, he hid from various locations throwing rocks at me and screaming that he would kill me. He was so angry and jealous and disappointed.... but amazingly resilient as he was back in my classroom yesterday again full of hugs and smiles. Most of the kids here have learned not to love or attach too much, but a few that do get hurt so easily and quickly. It breaks my heart.
Okay, well I feel bad my visitors are definitely waiting for me and have lots of shopping to do, so have to go, but lots of love and sunshine sent your way from the DR. Was planning to attach a picture, but left the camera at home!! New idea though... I was thinking about trying to attach a picture every week, or at least give a name, and if you feel compelled to pray for that child, please just send me back an email letting me know and then hopefully, eventually, each child will have someone praying specifically for him back home. So this week, Rodolfo, who appears to need it more than ever. If you write back, I can give you more specifics. And Glorimar. And also Ill add Paola, my 190 pound teenager in my classroom who is as teenager as it gets... she hasnt been in school for over a week for a list of reasons... most recently because she ate a handful of small rocks and now cant get them out.... pray for her and for my patience with her because sometimes it does run low!! Let me if you feel led to pray for any of these 3 of my kids.
Okay, love you lots and keep in touch.
xoxo
Love, peace, and prayers,
Kristin
May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you....May you be content knowing you are a child of God.... Let this presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment