Oct 12, 2009

Hola from the DR,

Hope this email finds you all well.  I will try to keep this one shorter than usual.  I got all my copies done already because I got here and the whole place was empty - how lucky is that?  Well, it´s been another good week, full of ups and downs and in betweens, but mostly ups. :)  The kids are making good progress and we´re having lots of fun.  Last week, we did a unit on the 5 senses, and got a little carried away, you´ll see what I mean if you look for my pictures on facebook.  I had the kids do all kinds of blindfolded activities, we made collage posters, sang songs, and then this crazy magazine activity where we pasted magazine eyes, noses, mouths, etc. on their faces.  Pretty funny.  This week we are learning about feelings, and I´m trying to do a new theme every week so if you have any ideas, please let me know!!  I like teaching themes each week since I don´t have any type of curriculum or materials to follow.  But I have learned a lot now about how to teach in reading, writing and other content in Spanish, and have come up with a lot of fun games and lessons.  Anyways, now I am up to 30 kids on my caseload, it is so crazy and I just keep finding more and more need.  Last week they asked if I could spend nights tutoring in my house with 9 girls.  It´s so crazy.  But the good thing is 2 of the volunteers are going to help tutor some kids in the morning, so I am going to try to help them with grouping the kids for instruction and train them in some different teaching methods and giving them materials.  The more I talk to teachers and work with kids, I am realizing about 85% or more of the kids here are significantly below grade level, and most can´t read.  I think I have my work cut out for me here.  But most of the kids I am working with are making great progress... learning their vowels, letters, sight words, numbers, name writing... those are always the most exciting moments to see them doing new things that they weren´t able to do back in August.  I am also trying to implement some school wide discipline / positive behavior supports here, since even though I having my 30 kids on behavior plans, the school as a whole needs some serious help with discipline.  I find myself breaking up hallway fist fights most days of the week. 

This week I was really sad to say goodbye to Lisa, the volunteer from Washington who has been helping in my classroom the past 2 weeks.  She was so sweet.  We had a goodbye party Wednesday, which turned into a Micheal Jackson dance party, my roommate Fritznel is beyond OBSESSED to say the least so he is ALWAYS teaching everyone Micheal Jackson dances... here´s the link if you want to see: http://vimeo.com/6991622

This weekend Dave and I went for 2 nights to Juan Dolio to our $15 hotel instead of 1 night in the $30 one, but it was so perfect and I even got a hot shower!!!  First one since I´ve been here, I loved it!!  Saturday it rained a lot so we ran around in the rain, and hid out in this little comedor, and got empanadas and spaghetti and a bowl of soup, only to find out after 2 bites that it was lengua de baca, cow tongue - and that was all I ate.  The lady who worked there was laughing at me.  Good thing it only cost about 80 cents.  On our way back to our hotel I stepped over this dead dog that looked like it could have been there for months... the dogs here make me sooooooooo sad, I wish I could open an animal shelter and take them all in.  But I guess that will have to be my next mission, cause I think I have my hands more than full now.  Sunday was sunny early (it usually rains every afternoon) so I got up early and walked the beach for 3 straight hours, non-stop, I didn´t realize how far I had walked but just about to San Pedro I walked so far, and I felt it today!!  I have been doing Barry´s Bootcamp with a volunteer from France and one from Germany, but today I couldn´t get my butt out of bed at 5:30 and was so sore already, but I want to start doing it everyday cause it´s a great way to start the day.  So we stayed at the beach til around 3 Sunday swimming and snorkeling (found some cool corals, sea urchins, and fish) til it started pouring and we ran through the rain to catch a guagua, go grocery shopping, and then take a motorcycle back to the orphanage (this is usually our preferred form of transportation :)

Last night I got chased out of my classroom after 2 hours again, but this time not by a tarantula, but by what I thought was a ghost, or a man who snuck in from the Batey, but it scared the daylights out of me... the school is a long dark walk down a dirt road, and there was no electricity so it is pitch black, and someone was following me down the road, running down the halls of the school in the dark, slamming doors, and watching me through the windows.  I found out today it was a teenage boy who snuck out of the orphanage during the night but it scared me so bad, it was pitch black and I couldn´t see a thing outside the school and he was coming up in the dark right behind me going ¨sssssssssss¨¨ in my ear and then disappearing into the darkness.  I felt like I was in a horror movie.  Good thing it was just one of the boys... I hope (he would never fess up to it today).

Other news... the kids have changed houses to separate the boys and girls who were living together, so that was a huge ordeal this past week, people insisted on moving their own beds and refridgerators and washing machines, even though they were the same in all the houses... it was quite a job and kept Dave running.  Today we celebrated Dia de Razas, or something like that, in school... I still don´t understand completely but it had something to do with the many races and ethnicities that make up the Dominican Republic, and celebrating that we all live together in harmony.  The kids did a play about it, but I rarely understand what their plays are all about. (one play in the church put two eight year old twins in diapers to play baby Jesus - guess they just couldn´t choose one of them?)

Also, pray for Alberto, one of the boys in the home who has cancer.  He is in second grade.  The cancer has spread through his whole body and they took him off chemo.  I don´t work with him so I don´t know him personally, but I think these kinds of things are really hard here for all the kids to understand, and hard on all the people who work with him.

Okay, well this turned into a WAY longer email than I planned, I guess I always just have so much to say after a week, but keep in touch and keep the ideas, news, and updates coming.  Love and miss everyone TONS and TONS and TONS.  Oh and also Sui´s birthday was this past weekend, so I hope someone was able to or can contact her to celebrate her birthday??  I am so sad I can´t be there and miss her so much.  If you are able to get in contact with her, please give her a HUGE birthday hug and lots of love from me. 

Lots and lots of love and prayers,
Kristin

Eating pizza at El Sueno en Juan Dolio!


Luis Alberto learning the 5 senses

Moises!
At the beach in Juan Dolio!

No comments:

Post a Comment