Aug 9, 2009

Arrived in the DR

Hello!

The internet is very slow and shuts down frequently so I am going to keep this short.  Wanted to let you know I arrived in the DR safe and sound Thursday night, and am doing well.  The heat is sweltering and the bugs are big and bite often, but the people and the children are beautiful and so kind.  I have been helping with a group of girls ages 9 to 12, who I will be eating with at meal time from now on.  Last night I was there with them for their devotional time, and they prayed... Thank you God for our new volunteer that has come to serve with us for a year, please keep her safe and healthy and take care of her so she can stay with us.  They are so sweet and just love and hang on you so much.  I already have a pile of pictures they colored me to decorate our room.

I have not been able to get into my classroom yet, but should be able to tomorrow, and meet with the school administrator and find out a little bit about my students, I hope.  Dave is not here yet and our room is not ready, so I have been staying at a different volunteer house, with volunteers from Germany, New Zealand, France, Haiti, Mexico, and Texas.  Everyone is really nice.  Cant wait til Dave gets here though, hopefully with a mosquito net, battery operated fan, and lots of bug spray.  Also, he will hopefully bring our camera so I can take and send lots of pictures soon.  Electricity is infrequent here, it usually only comes on at night, and the water is only one temperature, ice cold, but it is so hot that I dont think I would want it any other way.  Facebook is banned and my school account doesnt work, so this looks like this will be the only email I use.  So please pass this onto friends and fam as I cant access my address book or anyones email right now.  Keep in touch, and please come visit me!!!! 

Love,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment